Thursday, 23 January 2014

Ready?

It's a terrible thing in life to wait until you're ready. Actually, no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready.

If I've learned anything over this past year or so it has to be not to wait until you're ready to do something. Life requires us to take chances, to put ourselves out there, and to adapt to change. The most exciting and wonderful things happen this way. 

Again, I've been slacking with the updates. When I first created this blog I intended to keep it fully updated all the time. It's nice to document my progress as a first year teacher, but I've been too busy taking in the experience and self-reflecting to create an interesting blog-account of it. 

What I can say is that this year has challenged and tested me in ways I never thought possible. All of my pre conceived notions of what it means to be a teacher have been shattered. My outlook continues to grow and evolve - but it is always based on the premise of teaching empathy and doing what is best for the students. 

This blog post by Lori Gard really puts into perspective what students will remember about their teachers. I'm always looking for effective//efficient ways to create engaging lessons, to appeal to different learning styles, to provide individual feedback, and to make an impact. The following excerpt is my favourite part of her post. What is it that students remember most? Is it the content that you teach them? The study methods? Or is it something more like....

Your kindness. Your empathy. Your care and concern. They'll remember that you took the time to listen. That you stopped to ask them how they were. How they really were. They'll remember the personal stories you tell about your life: your home, your pets, your kids. They'll remember your laugh. They'll remember that you sat and talked with them while they ate their lunch.

I am making a resolution in 2014 to be present in my work. It's easy to get bogged down by the general busy-ness of planning, organizing, and marking. I want to truly be there for my students, listen to their concerns, and really make a connection with them. So far, I have succeeded in laying the foundation for this -- but it is beneficial to reflect every now and then to reinvigorate my passion for choosing this career. 

In other news, I'll be heading to Ireland for the winter sports break in about three weeks. I'm also beginning to plan my summer travel plans backpacking up the European coast from Turkey to Portugal. There's definitely an air of excitement surrounding these next few months. 

Everyday I remember how lucky I am to have a supportive family, a job that I love, the opportunity to travel, and most of all my health. 

Don't take anything for granted. Always show appreciation. 

Be kind to each other ! <3 



No comments:

Post a Comment