Monday, 5 August 2013

Can't make the train on time to save my life..

Local street art in Stockholm
It's been almost a week since I've written last. When I last left off, Chloe and I were heading to spend the day in Stockholm. Figures we missed the train once again.... Luckily Teresa - a really nice worker at the train station - helped us out once again and we were able to switch our tickets for a later time (with no penalty).

We also made the mistake of not taking a number to secure a spot in line while clearing this up. Needless to say, a couple people were quite angry with us! It's very common to use the number ticket queue system in most public places in Sweden. 

Chloe and I indeed spent the day exploring the city in the rain. We also ran into some Canadian teachers that will be teaching at another School in Stockholm. One of them happend to attend school with me this past year. It's funny how common it is to run into people you know randomly halfway across the world. 

Here are some pictures from Stockholm. The city itself is an interesting mix of history and modernity. The architecture varies slightly depending on which area you are in. It is a typical port city but it has a different feel than other European cities that I've been too. Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of damage due to warfare? 

Little cobblestone street towards the port
Cathedral in the background

A boat sailing through the port
Overlooking the city
Traffic circle where 6 directions
of traffic meet

View of architecture from above























I returned back from Stockholm on the last train (11pm), which I happend to make on time! Since then, I've spent many days at a local beach area called Sundbyholm with the other teachers. We even spent one day out on a boat after enjoying the beach for some time.

If not at that beach, you'd likely have found us at a closer spot called Vilsta. A small lake surrounded by vast areas of greenery comprises this beach-like area. It's about a 15 minute walk (or 5 minute jog) from my place I've been enjoying a little yoga by the lake in the middle of my morning runs.

I have to say that as much as I am super excited to start my first year of teaching, it might be slightly tough to switch from vacation to business mode! The weather has been so beautiful here in Sweden since I've arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment