I've finally graduated and am certified to teach! What a wonderful feeling. My flight is officially booked for July 24th and I couldn't be more excited! I'll have just over two weeks to get acquainted with Eskilstuna before embarking on the journey that is my first year of teaching. I'm buzzing with feelings of excitement, uncertainty, and anxiousness.
It just hit me that I have only 5 more weeks/weekends to enjoy with friends and family before the big move to Sweden. I had an amazing weekend in Muskoka (LOVE the cottage life) and am looking forward to this weekend at Susan's in Sarnia. There are so many things I want to do and people I want to see before I go.
In other news, everyone at IES Eskilstuna seems very welcoming and kind. I've spoken with a few of the teachers via email. They've been very supportive in answering my questions and helping me to organize the many, many details. This is all extremely important as I prepare move halfway across the world!
I'm currently reading "The First Days of School" by Harry Wong. I think it's important to be prepared as I embark on this exciting journey of teaching. The book was recommended to me by a principal at my first practicum placement. Interesting insights so far with a focus on clearly outlining expectations and procedures. Students are more likely to behave when consistency is focused upon. Relating this to my current experiences I'd have to agree.
On another note, I've been practicing yoga at PYC [Power Yoga Canada] and have been mulling over the idea of incorporating this into my teaching somehow. This book seems like it provides an interesting overview of the benefits of yoga for kids. Definitely going to check it out of the library this week to find out more.
Stay tuned for more updates in the coming weeks!

No comments:
Post a Comment